Council is working with local primary schools to encourage more families to walk, ride or scoot to school by placing animal footprints and distance markers (1km and 500m) around local primary schools in Greater Shepparton.
About Walk to School and Ride2School
Greater Shepparton children and families are encouraged to start the year on the right foot by taking part in VicHealth’s Walk to School or Bicycle Networks Ride2School program.
Safe walking and riding maps, a log book, activity sheets and activity cards have been developed to support children and families on their active travel adventures and discover what animals have been active in their neighbourhood.
For those that can’t walk or ride all the way, try parking the car a few blocks from school at the 1km or 500m distance marker and walk, ride or scoot the rest.
Walk to School is an initiative of VicHealth that aims to encourage primary-school students across Victoria to walk, ride or scoot to and from school as often as possible.
Ride2School is an initiative of the Bicycle Network a nationwide program that enables students to get physically active on their journey to school.
It is important to think about how we can incorporate active travel into our daily routine and avoid those single car trips. The health benefits of active travel (walking, cycling or combined with public transport) instead of travelling by car is well recognised. Benefits include:
- A boost in our physical and mental health
- We are more productive at work, at school, at home and in our community
- We reduce the load on our health system to treat preventable illness
- Children's independence and confidence increases as they gain road safety experience
- More time to spend socialising with family and friends
- Helps form healthy habits and active travel routines for life
- Less cars on the road means reduced congestion and fewer road collisions and as a result, cleaner air and broader environmental benefits.
Get Mooving to School is a free, easy and fun way for children and their families to get active and meet the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity each day – our body, mind and the environment thanks us!
- Junior Activity Sheet
- Junior Activity Sheet 2
- Senior Activity Sheet
- Senior Activity Sheet 2
- Activity Log Book
- Walk to School Cards - Edition 1
- Walk to School Cards - Edition 2
- Media Release
- Like the "Walk to School" Facebook page
- Follow "Walk to School" on Twitter
- Like the 'Ride2School' Facebook page
- Call Council’s Healthy Communities Team on (03) 58329 431 or email email@example.com
Safe Walking and Riding Maps
- Shepparton - All Schools (A0 Size)
- Shepparton - All Schools (A1 Size)
- Bourchier St Primary School
- Dookie Primary School
- Gowrie St Primary School
- Guthrie St Primary School
- Mooroopna Primary School
- Sacred Heart Primary School
- Shepparton Christian College
- St Annes College
- St Brendans Primary School
- St Georges Road School
- St Marys Primary School
- St Mels Primary School
- Tatura Primary School
- Verney Road Primary School
- Wilmot Road Primary School